For .pdf of instruction set, click here: DECKED Best Practices: Installing Van Shelving
1. Always bolt van shelving mounting attachments to the lateral steel tubes which run underneath the deck. Each deck half contains six or seven 1” x .” galvanized steel tubes co-molded laterally into the deck’s HDPE. The steel tubes are indicated by dimples in the surface of the deck as shown in BLUE FIG 1A. Do not bolt or screw shelving only to the HDPE material of the DECKED system. Do not drill into the C-channel, indicated by RED FIG 1A. This channel is where the drawer wheels roll. If van shelving components need to be located on top of the steel C-channel, see FIG 2E for reference.
2: When bolting to the lateral steel tubes, always bolt all the way through the tube using bolt and flange nut (or nylon insert locknut). When bolting to lateral steel tubes over the drawer cavity, use short enough hardware so as not to obstruct drawer function. Alternately, the bolt can be installed from the underside after holes have been drilled. DO NOT DRILL THROUGH OR ATTACH TO THE C-CHANNEL. Reference FIG 2A-2E for proper attachment.
3. Always use mounting brackets (circled in red) to attach shelving units to the deck. Avoid placing shelving unit ends directly on the deck. FIG 3A.
4. Distribute mounting attachment load bars (circled in red) over large areas of the deck panel for shelf support. The smooth surface above the C-channel is ideal. FIG 4A.
5. Avoid mounting shelving end panels to areas of the deck lacking lateral steel tube support. When such a situation arises, transfer load to the next shelving unit and floor by bolting the unsupported end panel to an adjacent floor-mounted shelf end panel. FIG 5A, FIG 5B.
6. In the absence of an available lateral steel tube support in the deck or an adjacent shelving end panel to bolt into, transfer the load to the van floor. Take a vertical support and bolt it to the end panel of the DECKED-mounted shelving system and the floor. FIG 6A, FIG 6B.
NOTE: DECKED has created these best practices to guide installation of van shelving units with the DECKED system. We do not have detailed data on the variety of shelving systems, and have therefore, provided over-arching guidance based on integrating shelving with the structure of DECKED. These guiding principles will provide an experienced installer with the understanding needed to implement a valid assembly.